I. External Anatomy
A. Scales-overlap, pointing toward tail
B. Fins- except Adipose, all fins are a tough membrane supported by bony fin rays.
1. Caudal or Tail - propels fish forward
2. Anal - used in spawning, detects gravel size
3. Adipose(Soft Dorsal) - Small and fleshy, function unknown (Removed to indicate hatchery-raised fish)
4. Dorsal - Stay upright, maintains course--braking and balancing.
5. Pelvic & Pectora l - Important for maneuvering, Braking and balancing.
C. Eyes - Excellent eyesight, very sensitive to light, can see equally well above and under water.
D. Nostrils - Sharp sense of smell
E. Lateral Line - Sensory canal that picks up low frequency vibrations in the water.
F. Operculum - Bony covering to protect gills.